Join our team of passionate, innovative and driven professionals for a fun and rewarding career at Varicent. Collaborate, develop and grow, make an impact.
This role is located in Toronto, ON, Canada
The General Counsel is an active member of the management team providing effective and timely legal services with the purpose of accelerating the organization’s achievement of its strategic objectives while protecting the company’s interests.
Provides proactive leadership through the direction of the legal activities of the organization including; customer and partner contract negotiations, contract life cycle management, intellectual property rights management, securities law, employment law, employment and corporate litigation management, insurance portfolio management, mergers and acquisitions activities, and corporate governance.
Interacts with and provides advice and counsel to managers concerning laws that impact their functional areas. Acts as corporate secretary for Board of Directors, Audit Committees and other sub-committees.
Manages the activities of the company’s legal team, external counsel, and supervises the corporate contracts administration.
Core competencies for this important role include experience with SaaS/Software contracts, collaboration, agility, dedication, innovative thinking, problem-solving skills, strong communicator, integrity, accountable, energetic, courage and the drive to exceed expectations.
You bring to Varicent
- Minimum of 5-7 years in practice; compensation commensurate with experience.
- Law Degree and a member of the LSUC; emphasis on corporate law.
- Any international calls to the bar are an asset.
- Experience in a corporate legal environment.
- Experience with drafting and negotiating SaaS and software related agreements.
- General corporate, intellectual property, securities and employment law experience an asset.
- Detailed oriented and diligent.
- Excellent time management, communications, decision making, presentation, writing and organizational skills.
- Excellent business sense a must. Business person first, lawyer second.
- Previous experience with data privacy matters is a strong asset.
What you’ll do
- Creates and maintains worldwide corporate legal policies and procedures and SaaS/Software contract templates required for appropriate corporate governance.
- Provides proactive negotiation support and effective system of contract administration. Negotiates, prepares, and reviews all contracts with customers, partners and suppliers, with emphasis on software related agreements.
- Co-ordinates all aspects of a worldwide intellectual property protection program including; copyrights, patents, trademarks, trade secrets, et cetera. Owner of corporate information security.
- Participates in all aspects of securities law compliance and actively participates on the mergers and acquisition team.
- Provides proactive corporate governance support including advisory services to the directors and corporate officers. Acts as corporate secretary to board of directors and sub-committees.
- Selects, co-ordinates, and optimizes use of external counsel and supervises the corporate contracts administration.
- Proactively interacts with Human Resources in relation to worldwide employment issues. These activities include review of all corporate human resource templates and intellectual property contracts. Co-ordinates all employment litigation activities.
- Co-ordinates worldwide legal issues relating to; contracts, insurance, leases, employment, taxation, securities et cetera.
- Owner of corporate insurance portfolio including D&O and corporate insurance
- Establishes and maintains Data Privacy regulatory adherence and assisting in the contractual oversight of managing Data Privacy risks more efficiently and effectively.
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned.
Be part of our journey
Learn about the benefits our employees enjoy everyday.
Relaxed, but Hard Working Team
We have flexible working hours, a dynamic atmosphere, team events, and more.
Modern Work Environment
Work in an open, bright, collaborative space.
Keep your energy up and your brain fueled!
Gym on Premises
Varicent values the health and wellness of its employees.
Quick and easy access from Sheppard-Yonge station.
Varicent offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package.